To modify the EmulationStation menu mapping, edit the file /recalbox/system/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg. In the 'deviceName="Keyboard"' section, set the 'id' property of each input to the SDL keycode for that keyboard input. To map virtual gamepad button "a" to keyboard key "1", locate the input with 'name="a"' and change the value of 'id' to "49".
@eroxx Recalbox was developed to play with joystick, to deliver an experience as close as possible to the original, we recommend using a keyboard only in computer games, which the keyboard was originally used for.
@zing many thanks for such a detailed response. For now I have put the IPAC in to dual controller mode and everything seems to be working fine. I will work my way through those links to find a more permanent solution.
@karlo8321 To get rid of my BT problem - too low BT range with Pi 4B and/or RB 8 - I've tried 3 different USB BT dongles that worked fine in past with Pi 3B. None of them is working at all with Pi 4B and/or RB 8. Not any bluetooth device is found, as soon I connect one of these dongles.
I hope it's just a software issue, as I would prefer using the interneral BT of Pi 4B anyway. I've never had a range issue in the long past, just used BT dongles with Pi3 B (non +) because of the bad latency. With Pi 3B+ everything was fine. I switched to RB 8.0.x in parallel with the switch to Pi 4B, so I can't tell if hardware (Pi 4B) or software (RB 8.0.x) causes the range issue. Anyway, the fact that my USB dongles do not work at all should be caused by software.
@SmashDde Of course, we understand the pov of a frustrated user because there is a bug, and as a user, I fully understand how bad this is.
I just wanted to make clear the situation of the developers, and to make it clear that if more users comment on your issue it will be
better: the team of developers is small, and the work is a lot, so they need to prioritize, and one of the priority criteria is the number of users affected.
Holy sh...! It's alive again! I cannot pin the reason down though, but I'm certain it was something I made wrong again and again. Maybe sth. to do with the windows ssh shell (didn't want to set putty up because I find that confusing). Anyway, thanks so much for guiding me through. 🙂