Hi and welcome to Next Pixel theme for Recalbox!
This theme is based on recalbox-next theme and designed to display a fullscreen image for every system that best defined it (or as best as possible) avoiding using in game footage. Most of these systems will have a custom music that match that game.
As it is based on recabox-next theme you'll get all advantages of it (region settings, game list layout settings, etc..) + several options so you can get a visual that suits you.
Theme is compatible with 16:9 and 4:3 screens.
Here are some screenshots using different theme settings:
To install theme drag and drop next-pixel folder into your recalbox/system/.emulationstation/themes folder. Then start/restart your recalbox and choose next-pixel theme from recalbox options (UI SETTINGS > THEME SET).
- COLORSET : chose between several color configurations light, dark or game accent, game accent will colorize some elements using a color matching actual system image, some configuration may mix light, dark and game accent, try them out to find the best for you.
- ICONSET : chose icons used for bottom left help (same as recalbox-next).
- SYSTEMVIEW : chose beetwen vertical wheel or horizontal system view, for each one you have 3 options to display system info (4 lines info, all lines info or no info), when using vertical wheel please use UI SETTINGS > TRANSITION STYLE > INSTANT for a better look and feel.
- GAMELISTVIEW : choose gamelist view layout, you may show/hide different elements.
- REGION : chose your region to adjust logo/console images (same as recalbox-next).
Multiple game themes
Some systems may contain several game themes, in that case system folder is duplicated with "2" suffix [folder]2 (for example cavestory2), if you prefer medias in that folder just remove or rename original folder so you can next rename [folder]2 to [folder] (then you need to restart recalbox if it was running).
- This theme use pictures/musics found over internet, if you think any images/musics used in this theme are your ownership or is subject to copyright please contact me (contact[at]samystudio.net), I'll remove them.
- Theme is based on recabox-next theme so some assets may be licensed by recalbox, recalbox license always prevail for these assets (so this theme MIT license is only applicable for xml files).
- Camera and some game info icons are from shareicon.
- Digital Counter 7 font used for game counter icon is from Sizenko Alexander (http://www.styleseven.com).
Once again for those who skipped this long post here :) when using vertical wheel please use UI SETTINGS > TRANSITION STYLE > INSTANT for a better look and feel.
Several packages are available depending on your screen ratio and resolution. Actually theme fully supports 16:9 and 4:3 screens.
2 packages are available with 1080p (full hd screens) or 720p (hd screens) images.
Some devices like Raspberry Pi may lead to memory issues when using a lot of images especially in 1080p. If you have any issues with image loading you should switch to 720p version. When switching to 720p from a 1080p screen, I highly recommend to force recalbox to run at 720p as it will greatly improve image quality. To do so you'll have to edit config.txt, from this file search for hdmi_group and hdmi_mode and set both as following:
Don't forget to remove '#' char on those lines if present.
One package is available (with 1024x768 images).
Contribute / Report issues
Project is hosted on Github.
I'm all ears to any suggestions or to add alternative game image/music as i've done it with with system like PSX or Cavestory.