Next Pixel theme

• Hi and welcome to Next Pixel theme for Recalbox!

This theme is based on recalbox-next theme and designed to display a fullscreen image for every system that best defined it (or as best as possible) avoiding using in game footage. Most of these systems will have a custom music that match that game.
    As it is based on recabox-next theme you'll get all advantages of it (region settings, game list layout settings, etc..) + several options so you can get a visual that suits you.

Theme is compatible with 16:9 and 4:3 screens.

Here are some screenshots using different theme settings:

Installation

To install theme drag and drop next-pixel folder into your recalbox/system/.emulationstation/themes folder. Then start/restart your recalbox and choose next-pixel theme from recalbox options (UI SETTINGS > THEME SET).

Options

• COLORSET : chose between several color configurations light, dark or game accent, game accent will colorize some elements using a color matching actual system image, some configuration may mix light, dark and game accent, try them out to find the best for you.
    • ICONSET : chose icons used for bottom left help (same as recalbox-next).
    • SYSTEMVIEW : chose beetwen vertical wheel or horizontal system view, for each one you have 3 options to display system info (4 lines info, all lines info or no info), when using vertical wheel please use UI SETTINGS > TRANSITION STYLE > INSTANT for a better look and feel.
    • GAMELISTVIEW : choose gamelist view layout, you may show/hide different elements.
    • REGION : chose your region to adjust logo/console images (same as recalbox-next).

Multiple game themes

Some systems may contain several game themes, in that case system folder is duplicated with "2" suffix [folder]2 (for example cavestory2), if you prefer medias in that folder just remove or rename original folder so you can next rename [folder]2 to [folder] (then you need to restart recalbox if it was running).

Copyright

• This theme use pictures/musics found over internet, if you think any images/musics used in this theme are your ownership or is subject to copyright please contact me (contact[at]samystudio.net), I'll remove them.
    • Theme is based on recabox-next theme so some assets may be licensed by recalbox, recalbox license always prevail for these assets (so this theme MIT license is only applicable for xml files).
    • Camera and some game info icons are from shareicon.
    • Digital Counter 7 font used for game counter icon is from Sizenko Alexander (http://www.styleseven.com).

Download

Once again for those who skipped this long post here :) when using vertical wheel please use UI SETTINGS > TRANSITION STYLE > INSTANT for a better look and feel.

Several packages are available depending on your screen ratio and resolution. Actually theme fully supports 16:9 and 4:3 screens.

16:9 screens

2 packages are available with 1080p (full hd screens) or 720p (hd screens) images.

Some devices like Raspberry Pi may lead to memory issues when using a lot of images especially in 1080p. If you have any issues with image loading you should switch to 720p version. When switching to 720p from a 1080p screen, I highly recommend to force recalbox to run at 720p as it will greatly improve image quality. To do so you'll have to edit config.txt, from this file search for hdmi_group and hdmi_mode and set both as following:

• hdmi_group=1
    • hdmi_mode=4

Don't forget to remove '#' char on those lines if present.

DOWNLOAD es-next-pixel-1080p

DOWNLOAD es-next-pixel-720p

4:3 screens

One package is available (with 1024x768 images).

DOWNLOAD es-next-pixel-crt

Contribute / Report issues

Project is hosted on Github.

Final words

I'm all ears to any suggestions or to add alternative game image/music as i've done it with with system like PSX or Cavestory.

• That is a very, very beautiful theme, thanks for sharing!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Hi, this theme is great!! If you have time left, I'd be very happy when you could add following systems:

• coleco
    • dos
    • dreamcast
    • fba_libretro
    • fds
    • pcenginecd
    • psp
    • sg1000

Team

New systems are coming in the next Recalbox release:

• Oric/Atmos
    • Atari 5200
    • Atari 8bits (800/XL/XE series)
    • PC-FX (Japaneese computer)
    • PC98 (Japanesse computer)
    • Amiga CD32
    • SAM Coupé (British old computer)
    • Atari Jaguar
    • Mattel Intellivision
    • Fairchild Channel-F
    • Pokémon Mini
    • Neogeo CD

Yes I know: Lot of additional work for theme makers! ^^

• Themer

@bkg2k Is the Atari Jaguar PC only or also pi3 ?

Team
    Translator

• @bkg2k I hope new final will be released soon. Not because of new systems, those are not so important for me. But support for Pi3 B+ and its integrated, well working bluetooth - even with latest beta :)

I hope maker of this theme will release a version for „good old“ systems from my list above first, because I guess many people use them too. And I really like this mod of recalbox next-theme. It brings a modern interface with big retro feeling in one package :)

• @lhari84 Thx for your comment i'll try to add some new systems soon (it's pretty hard to find out a nice image that match my theme with really old system though).
    @Bkg2k @paradadf Any chance to be able to edit its own post? it's really odd and not really user friendly having to reply to its own post to add new screenshot and new features.

Team
    Translator

@myst sent me your formatted text in a private message and I‘ll modify your first post entirely.
    This is a measure to prevent people from erasing useful information after the community helped them.

• @paradadf Great thx! I'll let you know when i need to update this post :)

• @myst Thanks, great!
    I can imagine, it‘s not too easy finding hd graphics that match...

Here some ideas, I guess you could find some usable material on the internet:

coleco:
    donkey kong (classic)

dos:
    warcraft 2 or command & conquer

dreamcast:
    resident evil (code veronica)

fba_libretro:
    pacman

fds:
    super mario bros

pcenginecd:
    prince of persia

psp:
    lumines or need for speed

sg1000:
    difficult... maybe something from game „flicky“

• @lhari84
    Thx for the list, I started looking for games yesterday for dreamcast and psp and i thought shenmue for dreamcast and god of war chains of olympus for psp would match well. What do you think of those games? I have never owned any systems from your list so i'm not sure about these games popularity, looks like shenmue pretty well defined dreamcast though.
    Anyway like i've done with playstation system i may add different alternatives for a system to make everybody happy as long as the game picked still well defined the system, when possible using exclusive game from a system is the right way to go.

• @myst
    I've never owned one of these systems too, except DOS :D Just played with friends' Dreamcast and PSP once or twice...

But some of the systems, like Coleco and fba_libretro (MAME alternative) are very impressive.

In the meanwhile I've removed some systems from my Recalbox though, as they are (almost) Japanese and not so important to me: sg1000 and fds.

Further, for fba_libretro, I just copied background and music from neogeo, because I use it also for NeoGeo emulation and so this is a good option. Metal Slug is fine :)

In conclusion, personally I'm only missing coleco, dos, dreamcast, pcenginecd and psp for now :)

Regarding your questions:
    I think Shenmue is a good option for dreamcast!
    For PSP I'd use another one, because God of War seems not to run good on Pi3, so it's not for everyone. Maybe Lumines, LocoRoco or Patapon? They all seem to be exclusive.

• @myst
    ... just copied doom's background and music to dos (pc), as it's a game that defined dos too.
    So I'm only missing: coleco, dreamcast, pcenginecd and psp :)

• @myst
    ... one more idea:
    pcengine cd seems to be almost defined by castlevania. I guess there is also much material to find on the net.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Rondo_of_Blood

• So here it is, version 0.4 is available! Initial post is up to date with this version, if you come from version 0.3 here is the changelog :

• Add dreamcast support
    • Add psp support
    • Add pcengine cd support
    • Add colecovision support
    • Change atari 5200 image
    • Improve basic/details view design

• @myst wow, thank you so much! Looks so great, cannot wait to have a look on big tv screen in the evening ;)

Just one more question about music:
    I saw for PSP you've chosen graphics from game Patapon, right?
    The music ogg music file doesn't seem to be from this game, I'm not sure... Maybe you could replace with something like that?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRXLa9HWFac

Also, because of its length, current music file is very big (19.2 MB). Don't know how recalbox handles audiofiles, especially on Raspberry Pi, but maybe it's not good for performance though. Can't tell...

@paradadf
    I'd suggest to give this thread a "Pinned" state, so more users are able to find this theme easily. It's really the best one I personally could find here in forum.

Want to support us ?

Join us on :

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Recalbox Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.